Founded in 2021 and headquartered in Zurich, Switzerland, Covalo connects cosmetic brands with ingredient and packaging manufacturers, formulation and manufacturing service providers as well as various laboratories through a comprehensive search engine.
The company also provides ingredient suppliers with a comprehensive real-time industrial data platform to effectively market their products. Covalo was founded in 2021 and is based in Zurich, Switzerland.
Covalo published a study assessing the impact of nine environmental factors on skin health, ranking the best and worst cities for skin.
French cities are quite far from the top of the ranking. Paris is in 26th position: high humidity, air quality and especially pollution make it lose points. The second French city analyzed is Marseille, which occupies the 44th position in the overall ranking. High stress due to traffic jams, air quality and the average annual UV index can deteriorate your skin in the French port city.
In our European neighbours, Munich, Madrid, Berlin and Milan have good results, while London arrives just before Paris and Brussels before Marseille. The top three cities in the world for skin are Phoenix, Oslo and Montreal, just ahead of Munich.
At the bottom of the ranking, Mumbai is the worst city for the skin, especially because of the traffic jams that stress the skin, and the combination of highly polluted air and high humidity that leads to a general decline in the protective functions of the skin.
Some notable results:
- Brisbane, Phoenix and Guangzhou have the highest scores in terms of average temperatures, with an ideal temperature for the skin around 22°C.
- Northern European cities such as Reykjavik, Helsinki, Oslo and Stockholm top the list thanks to their low UV indices.
- Belfast is the best city in the ranking in terms of the number of sunny days per year, since the higher the number of sunny days, the higher the risk of skin diseases.
- Edinburgh has the highest scores on air pollution: the Scottish city has the fewest airborne particles, which have harmful effects on the skin.
- It is in Montreal that the annual wind speed is the lowest, which means that in this city the wind dries the skin less than in all the other cities in the ranking.
- Phoenix, New Delhi and Istanbul have the perfect humidity, where the concentration of water vapor in the atmosphere is between 30% and 50%.
- On the contrary, Panama, Lima and Singapore have the worst humidity levels, which increases the sensitivity of the skin and causes the appearance of acne.
- Phoenix and Montreal achieve the best results in the Air category, which means that in these two North American cities, the air quality allows for good skin health.
- When it comes to daily cigarette consumption per smoker, causing acne and stress that damage the skin, Valletta comes in first place, closely followed by Riyadh and Taipei.
- Phoenix has the fewthless hours spent in traffic jams at peak times per driver, reducing the negative impact of stress on skin health.
- Germany has the lowest average number of hours worked per week per person, minimizing the effects of stress at work on the skin.
The purpose of this study is to find out which are the best and worst cities for the skin, by analyzing 80 cities among the most populous in the world. The factors considered for this study are related to air quality, solar radiation and stress and all have an impact on the skin. These include average annual temperatures, sunny days, average UV index, air quality, average wind speed, average air humidity, number of hours worked per person, time spent in traffic jams and average daily cigarette consumption.