"Cosmetics & the marine environment: let's innovate above and below the surface" will be the theme of the 15th edition of U'Cosmetics organized by the Université catholique de l'Ouest (UCO) Bretagne Nord, on March 21, 2024 in Guingamp.
"Our University is a real center of expertise in cosmetics, offering a curriculum geared towards the professional world. It was with this in mind that UCO Bretagne Nord, a true pioneer, created the first student competition and professional symposium on cosmetic innovation 15 years ago.say the organizers.
U'Cosmetics brings together major players from industry, academia and the international institutional world to make progress on a theme that changes every year. The aim is to develop a collective innovation dynamic within the cosmetics industry.
The 15th edition of U'Cosmetics invites you to explore and discover innovations and trends linked to the marine environment, to meet consumer needs and draw inspiration from the sea to create new skin and body care products. Seaweed waters, texturizers and active ingredients derived from marine biotechnologies have demonstrated their benefits and virtues in moisturizing, protecting and regenerating the skin; the bio-compatibility between marine organisms and the epidermis having been recognized for several decades...
Two events in one day
The U'Cosmetics 2024 trade show will provide an opportunity to discover all facets of cosmetics related to the marine environment. Various themes will be addressed through conferences on marine cosmetics, a presentation of a method for assessing the ecotoxicology of cosmetic products on corals, the sea as a source of inspiration, multiple sourcing and the impact on the marine environment.
The U'Cosmetics competition is the only student cosmetics formulation and innovation competition in France. All students in the cosmetics field, from Bac+3 to Bac+5, can take part. In 2024, teams of one to five students will have to innovate on the theme of the event.
They can compete in one of two categories:
- Formulation Innovation category: this category is for projects presenting a finished product that complies with European regulations on cosmetic products, and which must highlight at least one innovation related to the theme of "cosmetics and the marine environment".Only formulated products can compete in this category. The jury will pay particular attention to the steps taken to formulate the product, and to how innovative the product is (formulation, choice of raw materials, technical issues, process, etc.).
- Innovative Concept Category: This category is intended for projects presenting an innovative concept in line with the event's theme. The jury will pay particular attention to the originality of the concept presented, as well as to the marketing approach, the market study, the promotion of the innovative character, the brand universe, etc. To compete in this category, it is not necessary to present a finished, formulated product. However, for the pre-selection stage, it is possible to provide any element that may help to present the concept (mock-up, prototype, etc.).
On March 21, 2024, the 10 shortlisted teams will present their projects to the jury, professionals and students in attendance. The teams with the most innovative projects will be awarded four prizes:
- 1st prize for formulation innovation
- 2nd prize for formulation innovation
- Innovative concept award
- Philippe Collas Special Prize (Internet users' favorite)
Key competition dates
- October 2023: Registration opens
- December 10, 2023: Deadline for receipt of individual declarations of commitment and registration forms
- January 21, 2024: Deadline for receipt of application documents in digital format (teaser video, technical files and summary sheets).
- February 2, 2024: Deadline for receipt of application documents (technical files, summary sheets) and samples/prototypes by post.
- Mid-February 2024: Pre-selection jury
- February 27, 2024: Deadline for PowerPoint presentations
- March 21, 2024: Competition final - presentation of finalist projects and prize-giving ceremony